MUST ATTEND ALL SESSIONS:
Friday, Sept. 22 – 5:30 pm-7:00 pm
Sunday, Sept. 24 – 12 noon-5:00 pm
Saturday, Sept. 30 – 10:30 am-2:30 pm
Instructor: Barbara Thorwegen
Cost: $250 per person (Reimbursement can be requested from Troop – With expectation that you will sign up as a Lifesaving MB counselor and attend/certify Annual Swim Test)
Min class size: 4 people
Max class size: 8 people
Location: Evergreen Pool
Red Cross Lifeguard Certification is good for 2 years
Prerequisites (to be completed before the first day of class):
1) Watch instructional video (about 6 hours). OR read the Lifeguard Rescue Book. It is easier to watch the video. (Link here: https://youtu.be/Ao4dUKwOwBU)
2) practice swim strokes and distance
3) review CPR skills
You will be required to:
- Swim 300 yards continuously (non-stop)using either breaststroke or front crawl. Swimming must have coordinated arm and leg movement with rhythmic breathing (face in the water and turning head for a breath). Arms should come out of the water during the front crawl.
- Tread water in the deep end of the pool for 2 minutes using only the legs.
- Swim 20 yards, surface dive to a depth of 7-10 feet, retrieve a 10-pound object, return to the surface, and swim 20 yards face up (on your back)back to the starting point holding the object with two hands in under 1 minute and 40 seconds. Time stops when the brick is put on the deck and the participant exits the water onto the deck without using a ladder/stairs.